Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy Teacher's Day!



Friday was a very special day for the staff as today (Saturday) is Teacher's Day. It appeared as though it was everyone's birthday in the office as each desk was loaded with flowers, food, and presents! My kids must know I like to eat because I received cookies, Toblerone and other assorted chocolates, coffee, and whole cakes and pies! In addition, I received lots of adorable cards, individual roses and carnations, and one HUGE basket of flowers. On the ritsy side, which I actually felt bad telling my mom about as she is retiring after 35 years of teaching and has probably never received such gifts, were my beautiful Swarovski crystal necklace from the class and...a Coach purse (from I think the wealthiest student in the school who happens to be in my class)! These gifts are amongst the other extravagant gifts that I've gotten in the past (for no such occasion) such as Chanel and Bvlgaari perfume sets, Estee Lauder and Chanel make-up, and another Swarovski necklace. Now...I don't mean to tell you about all my gifts to brag about all that I've received, but instead to tell you how absolutely INSANE I think it is that these parents, who have met me no more than once and find it so important that their children learn English, give such incredible gifts to persuade us to be great teachers (or favor their child)! Of all the gifts that I have received from my students and parents though...I can whole-heartedly say that the best ones I have been given are all the hugs, sweet smiles, love, and laughter that I get out of my children every day! None of the tangibles I have received will EVER replace the experience of me teaching and the moments I have enjoyed with each of my students. I don't mean to be sappy, but I can't help from getting choked up every time I think about the little time I have left here. So, since I am going back in three months and will never be a teacher (in the education system) again in my lifetime, you can imagine how special Friday was for me. This is my one and only Teacher's Day that I will ever have, and I loved every second of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment