Saturday, May 15, 2010

Good Bye Alison!


On Friday we said "good bye!" to one of our friends from our neighboring LCI schools. Alison is the best from of our co-worker Gina, both from MN...surprise, surprise! Although I'm battling my second (and worse) round of Bronchitis since I've gotten here, there are too many good things going on this weekend to miss out on anything. We headed into Seoul right after work to a roof-top bar. It was an absolutely perfect night with beautiful weather for a farewell party! The reason I'm posting this blog is for two reasons. The first is that last night I realized what very little time I have left (Have I said this in the last five blog postings? Sorry!). Obviously, as each day goes by, I realize it more and more. But, last night was a bit of a wake-up call that in just three months, that person is going to be me. The people that were a part of my life for one year will be sending me off. Whether they are best friends, co-workers, or acquaintances...they will have affected my year in one way or another, no matter how big or small, and it will be extremely hard to say good bye. I only spent a few nights together with Alison, but all I remember about those nights is how much fun we had! I hope Alison had a safe flight home, was warmly welcomed by her family, and made it to the wedding she was due to arrive at just two hours after her landing. See you in just a few months Alison!

The second reason I'm writing about her good bye is to share an experience that is not unusual for Koreans to partake in, but never thought I would be a part of. That would be: public conflict. So often we see Koreans making a scene over who knows what, but it sure doesn't seem to bother them when people stare. Here's my story. There were many people arriving at the bar from lots of different places after their school day ended. Most people were ordering food either at the bar or from the three different servers that made frequent trips to our table. The point is that their serves somehow double ordered some foods and forgot others. At one point a server came up four times with a plate asking, "Who ordered the buttered chicken?" Finally, the (Korean) owner came up and began 1) treating us as if it was our mistake that no one was claiming a dish that no one ordered and 2) publicly yelling as his servers who were holding the plates. After an hour had passed with multiple visits from the not-so-nice owner, everyone except me had their food. He claimed that he already brought my dish that I clearly did NOT have, and then admitted to giving it to someone else at the end of the table. In his anger, he stormed downstairs and came back five minutes later practically shoving a plate in my face saying, "Your sandwich (chicken mozzarella with pesto) will take another 25 minutes...I suggest you eat this! It's chicken with hummus, it's delicious!" At that point, I became the most assertive I have ever been and responded, "Sir...may I just have my money back? I did NOT order this sandwich and I don't want it." (*Note that he brought up FIVE hummus sandwiches, when only four people ordered them. We assume he went downstairs, threw a chicken breast on the bun, and brought it back suggesting I eat a sandwich that ISN'T even on the menu!) Without an answer he turned and walked off, and after 15 minutes without my money, I went downstairs to ask for it. Without me saying anything he said, "You can't have your food now! The kitchen is closed. This is why I suggested you eat the delicious chicken with hummus sandwich!" And...here's where I got cranky, "SIR! That 'sandwich' is NOT on your menu. I did NOT order a chicken and humus sandwich, so give me my money back!" He gave me 9,000 won out of my 9,500 that I had paid for with no food. I told him I was going to get some food on the street and return upstairs to which he told me I could not do because a show was starting and you couldn't go up and down in the bar for 40 minutes. Then, I turned to the blonde girl working behind the bar and said, "I don't mean to be rude but I waited for and hour and 30 minutes and didn't get the food I paid for. I am going to get food on the street and return in a few minutes to be with my friends and I need you to let me back in. Also...not to be a pain, but you owe me another 500 won (less that 50 cents)." :) Okay, so that might have been a little obnoxious to ask for the last few cents that I didn't get back, but hey...I didn't get ANY of the food I paid for and had been more than turned off by the owners treatment to all of us when it was HIS worker's mistakes. So the story ends when I got my street food, returned in time to get back in, and enjoyed the rest of the evening saying good bye to sweet Alison. As I was about to walk out, the owner stopped me to apologized saying, "I'm sorry for tonight. Next time, I promise I will give you my best service!" It was very kinds of him, but he was assuming a lot including that he could provide his best service SHOULD I EVER come back again. He's lucky I absolutely LOVED his roof-top bar environment, because I WILL be back...and I will order my chicken mozzarella and pesto sandwich once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment