Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Why Korea?

Many people have asked me why I decided to teach abroad or why I chose South Korea. In February, I went to the MN Private Colleges Job Fair fully expecting myself to find at least a few potential companies I would be interested in working at and who would also want to hire me after landing a great summer internship the previous year, despite the less than hopeful economic situation. I had no doubt that within months, I would have myself a new career to follow graduation and I would be finding an apartment in Minneapolis with any of my girlfriends who would also end up there. Then, I ran into my friend Shauna who said she had just finished speaking with the recruiter at the booth to teach in South Korea, which I was just heading to. We were both excited, but I had no intent on following through with the idea.

My good friend Annie from school had gathered a group of girlfriends for a Christian book study group this year. Our second semester book was titled If You Want To Walk On Water, You've Got To Get Out Of The Boat by John Ortberg. As time passed with less and less potential employers, Korea sounded more and more intriguing. The book had also planted a seed that soon left me trying to discern between faith and foolishness. I was supposed to graduate in four years and get a "real job." Korea was certainly not in line with that plan. The book is based off of Peter's walk on the water with Jesus. Our boat is what is "safe, secure, and comfortable (Orteberg 17)." I was comfortable in MN with friends, family, the surroundings I knew, and the plans I had post-graduation.

"This in not just a story about risk-taking; it is primarily a story about obedience. That means I will have to discern between an authentic call from God and what might simply be a foolish impulse on my part. Courage alone is not enough; it must be accompanied by wisdom and discernment (16)."

Suddenly, I was feeling called to leave my boat. But, I wanted to be sure I wasn't making a foolish impulse on my part because my job outlook wasn't good or because I just wanted to travel. I wanted to be sure that it was God calling me to make a difference by sharing the gifts I was equipped by Him to use.

"I believe there is something-Someone-inside us who tells us there is more to life than sitting in the boat. You were made for something more than merely avoiding failure. There is something inside you that wants to walk on the water--to leave the comfort of routine existence and abandon yourself to the high adventure of following God (17)."

The next few months took much prayer and discussion with family and friends to finally decide on teaching in Korea. I could have stayed in MN and taken the one corporate job I was interviewing for or I could use my gifts to teach. I have loved working with children my entire life. Yes, I was comfortable with them, but I was now placing myself in a position where I would be given the chance to change the lives of Korean children and allow myself to grow in new ways.

"The worst failure is to never get out of the boat (23)." Rather than stay in my boat, I chose to get out. Thank God...I am now walking on the water--and loving it!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having quite the adventure! I love this post and all of the careful, God-centered thought that you put into your decision. I am so incredibly proud of you and can't wait to hear more about this walking on water business :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! You did the blog! That's great. It's good to hear that all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, So beautiful. I MUST read this book. Cannot wait! Keep on doing what you're doing! Miss you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God, this is absolutely amazing. I can identify with what you're writing so much. You are an incredible woman.

    ReplyDelete