Monday, August 24, 2009

The first few days...

After much needed rest, Shauna and I woke up Sunday and headed to the internet cafe, a daily stop for us. We met London and Britney for lunch and had the most delicious meal...beef galbi and bop (rice). We sat at a table with a hole in the middle where a is hot grill is brought to you along with lettuce, several side dishes, slices of beef, and many toppings (sprouts, garlic, onion, sauces). There you grill your own meat and make lettuce wraps. It was the first Korean meal I actually LOVED! Then we visited the market across the street with fresh fish, produce, and lots of groceries we would see at home. Thank goodness, I've realized I'm not going to starve to death this year living off fish, which I honestly thought was all I would be eating for a year and can't stand! The girls then showed us a dollar store and Lotte Mart, which is basically a multi-level Walmart/Target store with clothes, groceries, furniture, etc., which I am sure we will be shopping at often when we move.

Shauna and I are looking forward to getting into our apartments, so we asked to see one of the girls' house. London happily showed us her place where we hung out for the afternoon. It was SO cute, which makes us even more excited to get out of our Metro 21 "love motel!"That evening they took us out for authentic Chinese, which looked extremely interesting but tasted surprisingly delicious, minus the tentacles (very chewy and tasteless)! My biggest challenge so far has been the...chopsticks. HOW FRUSTRATING! I think we (Americans) are so used to shoveling huge spoonfuls into our face that the tiny bites you get with the chopsticks drives me crazy. Every meal has me growling at the table, but London and Britney PROMISE with more practice I'll get used to them...yeah right! At dinner, I complained to Shauna that I was going have to start doing hand exercises to help rid me of the terrible hand cramps I get EVERY time I use chop stops (no joke). It's too humorous!

Shauna and I spent Monday morning talking to our parents at the internet cafe and resorted to Subway when we had no idea what to eat elsewhere without London and Britney to help us as they were at school teaching. There we met John, another American teacher, who saw my Gustavus shorts and asked if we were from MN! We ate lunch with him and then he showed us a fun bar for foreigners and suggested a place and meal for dinner. We also got a tour of our school, LCI Kids Club, and were told to go home and rest until our doctor appointment Tuesday morning. We will start observing classrooms Wednesday afternoon and officially start teaching our own classes on Monday. The visit got us both SO EXCITED to start teaching. The kids are ADORABLE! At dinner we met Joelene and Ryan, the couple who Shauna and I will be replacing when they leave. They were such nice Canadians who gave us more suggestions of places to visit and shop. We returned to our motel to get rest for our important health check, which the girls warned us was quite the experience. We had no idea....

2 comments:

  1. That's funny! I can see you right now trying to handle chopsticks. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey love! I'm so glad I get to follow you on your blog. You've totally inspired me to start blogging again, too. I miss miss miss you. I'm so glad you've gone in peace to love and serve the Lord (like we're always instructed to do!)

    ReplyDelete