Sunday, April 18, 2010

I lied.


So...I said I would try and get back into writing once a week, but I've already failed at that. It's been two weeks since I last updated my blog. I do have things to tell you, but these are just a few reflections I've thought about. As different as living in another country sounds, it really isn't once you get past the initial changes. That passed months ago, and now it's just like I'm living life the way I would if I were back home (minus my ability to see the people I love in person). I go to work every day, exercise, make my own meals, go out and rest on the weekends, live independently, and for the first time ever am paying for myself (ok, except for those student loans, which I WILL be paying mom and dad back for the day I get home). It's a really good feeling! It will be a big change to come home and reverse back into school mode (homework---eeek!) and very tight financial living (which it will be for the next four years, even with the scholarship). All in all, my life here is normal, which is why my blogs are so infrequent, but completely fantastic! I am so eager about my future, but I am trying not to let the excitement of that take over my last four months here (I can't believe I just said only four).

So, here's what I was up to last weekend. Last Friday night we celebrated London's birthday, which was extra special because her mom was here! She treated us to an all your can eat galbi (it wasn't a dream!) before we headed to LUXURY Noraebong. This "luxury" included glass floors, comfy couches, mint mouth wash, and free ice cream as you leave. I'll admit, the ice cream is what's really going to get me back there again...it really can't get any better than that! After we sang until no one literally had a voice, we ended the night at London's favorite local Batman Bar.

On Sunday, Britney, Shauna, and I headed to the Seoul Zoo. We thought it would be faster to take a cab than the subway and once again experienced the kindness of a Suji citizen who called a cab for us and told the driver where we wanted to go. However, it wasn't as easy once we arrived, went passed the entrance, and got stuck in coming and going traffic after we turned around. We could tell the driver was frustrated as he was banging his fists on the steering wheel and huffing. He must have been mad at the situation and not us though he he stopped the meter at 35,000 won which was much more than we had expected to pay in the first place because we were sitting in traffic AFTER we had passed the park entrance and were trying to get back in. When we finally got out, he also wrote us a note in Korean that we could show people in case we needed help getting to the zoo area. We were two for two in getting kind Korean help that morning. It was a cloudy and cool day, but perfect for walking around a zoo. We grabbed a bite to eat (passed up the grilled octopus) and were ready for the zoo. We passed up the "elephant train" to take the chair lift over water up to the zoo area. I had high expectations after the Everland Zoo and have to say that while it was a fun day overall, I was let down by the maintenance of the place as a whole. The saddest exhibit was the hippos who were in what felt like a deserted warehouse with a stagnant, dirty water. Many of the cages were small and dark while the water animals were in rusted aquariums. To top it off, we missed the giraffes that we walked around all day looking for (this was a BIG zoo) as we left at closing time and found their empty (they were "put away" for the night) home right near the exit. Wamp wamp. Okay, so I know I sound a little bit negative, but there were definitely some highlights such as: the scenic chair lift, the beautiful outdoor environment in the mountains, mating baboons, mating lions (must have been that time of the season!), and a delicious batch of ddeok boki (glutinous rice cakes in a warm spicy red sauce). All in all, it was a good Sunday afternoon outing that ended in a long ride back on the subway and an early bed time.

Okay...if I want to keep any readers, I better end this entry and start a new one about this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment