Saturday, October 10, 2009

The LOVE of a FAMILY is life's greatest BLESSING


As if traveling abroad isn't exciting enough, what makes it an even more special and unique experience for me is that the country I decided to teach in happens to be the home of family. I knew being away from my family was going to be one of the toughest things about my year abroad, especially during the holidays. Last Christmas, my Uncle Bob (my dad's younger brother) and Aunt Shina (from Korea) told us that they would be leaving in February for South Korea. They would be living in Jeonju for 10 months while my uncle taught on a Fulbright position at a local university. At the time, I had no idea I would be joining them.

In February when they left, I applied to teach abroad. There are many countries that hire foreigners to teach English, but when I accepted the position in South Korea, I realized that I would have the chance to learn about the culture of someone in my family as well as spend time with them while I was there! What's even cooler is that I will have spent more time with them in South Korea in just a few short months than I do at home. I am lucky if I see them once a year as they live half way across the US in Virginia.

Last weekend, our school had a four day break (TH-Sun) for one of Korean's most important holidays called Chusok (similar to our Thanksgiving). On Wednesday, our students wore traditional Korean clothing (Hanbok) to school and made the traditional Chusok food called Songpyeon. They are small glutinous rice cakes with different kinds of sweet or semi-sweet fillings, such as sesame seeds and honey, sweet red bean paste, and chestnut paste. They look terrible, but are one of my favorite foods here! It was SUCH a fun day at school, and the children looked absolutely ADORABLE!

Last weekend was also the third time I got to see my uncle since I arrived less than two months and the first time I got to see my aunt. They invited me and any friends to stay with them in Jeonju (famous for its food, especially, my favorite, Bibinbop) for the Holiday break. I was so happy to have Britney and Shauna join me for the weekend. We left Suji around noon on Thursday, headed to the Suwon bus station, and arrived in Jeonju around 3:30pm after the nearly three hour bus ride. My uncle already had plans for us that afternoon. First, we stopped at the apartment to drop off our bags, and have snack time #1. Then, he took us too see a traditional Korean village and the original gate to the city, a beautiful Cathedral, the Chosun era royal grounds, and a gorgeous summer temple on a hill, which we saw all lit up after dark! We went home for a delicious Korean chicken dinner, made by my aunt Shina, and went for a nice walk together to a park with a bridge over water that was supposed to be brightly lit. Sadly, we missed the lights, but it was still a wonderful end to the evening! We returned home for snack time #2, right before bed.

On Friday, we slept in and woke up to a pancake breakfast made by uncle Bob. MMMMM...as much as I love the Korean food, American food is always a treat here! We left the house for the day around noon and started with a hike up Martyr’s Mountain. Our first stop at the start of the hike was Dong-go Sa, a Korean temple with the biggest Buddha I've ever seen! We made our way up and stopped at a beautiful church in the side of the mountain for a lunch of Kimbop (what I would describe as fake Sushi). We were also given homemade Songpyeon by two kind Korean women who had their share. We came to the first peak, took some pictures, and decided to head for another summit that we could see as we still had time for more. We never did find the one we were looking for, but we had a great day hike seeing some beautiful sites. After, we visited two more traditional temples and were given our second batch of homemade Songpyeon! Our last plan for the day was to find one of the famous Jeonju Bibinbop restaurants. After a long walk, we were unsuccessful at finding any of them open as it was the night before Chusok. Instead, we found a pork Galbi (also one of my favorites) restaurant that hit the spot after the long day. I was set on seeing the light on the bridge we visited the night before, so we walked back again only for them not to be on AGAIN as it was too windy. However, we enjoyed a delicious cup of coffee in the cute pagoda on the bridge. Of course, we returned home to an evening of cards and Snack #3, right before bed.

On Saturday (CHUSOK!), we hopped on a bus to Gwangju (another hour and a half ride) to spend the day with Shina's family. I can't possibly describe to you the feelings I had when we opened the 17th floor elevator doors and had Shina's mother and sister jump out to give us such welcoming hugs. Then we turned the corner into the apartment (Shina's brother's place) filled with more smiling faces. They were truly excited to have us all there. We met her mother, younger sister and brother, their husband and wife, and their children. I've never fell in love so quickly. I couldn't believe I was really there spending such an important holiday with such a wonderful Korean family! I left family at home, met even more family in my new home, and was not alone for the holiday. It was indescribably special for me, and just the same for Britney and Shauna. How many other English teachers would have the chance to spend a holiday with a Korean family?

They immediately (and I mean IMMEDIATELY as in before I could even use the bathroom!) requested we sit down and begin eating the smorgasbord of food Shina's family had prepared. The long, floor table was filled from one end of the other...all for us as they had already eaten before we arrived. I was extremely nervous when I saw shells, a whole fish with eyes and sharp teeth grinning at me, and the numerous side dishes of Kimchi, etc. But, the second I began eating, I (and the others) could not stop for the next hour. Shina's sister noticed that the Japchap (noodles with vegetables and seasoned meet) was gone and said to her, "They really like that!" At this point, we were well past full, but she was already in the kitchen making more. We LITERALLY ate until we couldn't eat anymore! It was the most savory meal I have had since I arrived, as most homemade food is. While we were speaking English and her family Korean, I'm quite sure they knew how grateful we were to be there, and we understood how happy there were to have us.

Right after the meal, Shina's brother (and wife) and sister (and husband) took us to see the city's most noted site, the May 18th National Democracy Park, which Bob described as the Gettysburg of Korea. It was beautiful and very humbling. Then, we drove part way up Mudeung Mountain and stopped at a cozy little restaurant overlooking the city. We enjoyed Korean rice wine and a snack while watching the most beautiful sun set. Again, it was the perfect end to a PERFECT day! Before we headed back to Jeonju, we drove through the campus where Shina's brother works as a professor of design and where my uncle Bob also taught at many years ago just after him and Shina were married. As we were about to get a ride back to the bus station from Shina's sister-in-law, we exchanged hugs with everyone just as we had done hours earlier that day. When we got in the car to leave, Shina's sister was waving good bye and speaking to us in Korean. As we drove away, sad that the day was over, Shina told us that her sister was saying, "We are going to miss you." The people we had spent less than a day with were going to miss us, and boy were we going to miss them too. What an INCREDIBLE day! We made it home and spent another evening playing cards and enjoying snack time #4.

On Sunday, we woke up and made our second attempt at finding the famous Jeonju Bibinbop, and we successful at finding the place popular for foreigners. At this place, we were served more side dishes than I've ever had. The table was literally full before we even got our Bibinbop. When the food arrived, it was served in a stone bowl that was so hot, it fried the raw egg placed on top when you stirred it into the dish! It was definitely good, but I have to say that I like the Binibop back in Suji better! However, all Bibinbop is delicious to me, so it was well worth the experience. Uncle Bob told me I still had to go back and tell all the Korean staff it was, "the BEST Binbinbop I've ever had!" Sadly, our weekend had come to an end. We headed to the bus station around 12:30pm, only to find that there were no available buses until 4:30pm. So we headed back to the apartment for yet MORE FOOD until we headed back to Suji. What we realized is very much the same in Korea as in America when it comes to holidays is that 1) You're ALWAYS eating and 2) spending time with family is the best part about the holidays!

I have no doubt, this will be my most memorable event during my entire year in South Korea! Thank you, more than you'll ever know, for taking us in and sharing the wonderful Chusok weekend with us Uncle Bob and Aunt Shina. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment