Saturday, September 5, 2009

Week One Complete!


I have survived my first week of teaching in Korea, and I loved it! I can not believe that I have been here for two weeks (today) already! I feel like I was just sitting in my hotel room watching re-runs of Law and Order waiting anxiously to teach, and now I'm going into my second week.

If you take a look at my kindergarten class at the top, I will help you get to know them a little better. Starting from the left, Issac is precious. He always does his homework, but I can't read his writing (no, it's not Korea). His favorite line is, "Teacha, this one?" (pointing to where he thinks the answer should go, which is always correct) after I just write the answer on the board and point in their work books exactly where to write it. He's just like me...usually knows what he's doing, but always checking to make sure he's right. Rachel...class genius, class queen, and teacher's pet. Before the rest of the class has even written the entire first answer down, Rachel is always saying, "Teacha finished, teacha finished." Her mom called last week saying Rachel always wants to finish the entire workbook, which is intended to last the entire semester! She is very good at helping the slower students in class, but also knows how to work each student. The other girls are constantly trying to please Rachel so that she wants to be their friend. Kelly can't stay on her bottom. She is constantly handing her pencils, erasers, and anything she has to other students. She is also very smart and is always telling the students next to her the answers to help them get done faster. I constantly have to remind her to do her own work! Ann is the best listener in the class. She is sweet and quiet. She too is always asking where to write her answers when they are on the board. Sally also can't stay on her bottom and is a smart girl. When we play the matching pairs game, she never forgets where a card is to find its match. Eric never does his homework, but always does his work in class and likes it! He is never afraid to let me know when he doesn't understand something. His favorite line is, "Teacha help me, teacha help me." Last but not least is tiny Kevin with a perm. (Many boys here get them!) He is so sweet, but takes the most work. Most of the time I have to stand directly behind him and point exactly to where he should be writing or he is in his own creative world. He also makes the most noise for being the smallest. He was gone on Friday, and it made a world of difference in how smoothly class went! It's very fun to continue getting to know more about each other their personalities!

Contrary to what I thought I would enjoy more, I really like teaching the elementary students in the afternoon better. I love young kids, and my kindergarten students are so cute, but a lot more to handle. The older students are much more well behaved, can communicate well, are so curious, and ask many questions when they don't understand. Class discussions is great and they are so fun to teach! I never have to prepare for Kindergarten. I just show up and teach every day. My older classes require me to at least look over the material enough to know what I'm talking about. I was observed by my supervisor for my Social Studies and Writing class on my second day teaching, and she was "So impressed!" so it was a good feeling! Friday morning, I had to attend a Science Seminar. When asked to answer a basic science question, I got it wrong! I laughed and said, "That's probably why I had to drop Biology freshman year!" My supervisor still trusts me enough to start teaching Science in November. We'll see how that goes...should be interesting!

This morning (Saturday) I woke up to my dad calling me on Skype from the Brainerd hospital where his mother lives. One of my greatest worries coming here was leaving my two grandmothers at their age. I couldn't believe I was already getting a call about one of them being in the hospital, so it was my first downer about being here. She was feeling better when they called, and I was fortunate enough to talk to her through my web cam as dad brought his along to the hospital! Please keep her, my family, and my uncle Bob (her son, also in S. K.) and I in your prayers as we are far away from her. Tomorrow, myself, Shauna, London, and Britney are going to visit uncle Bob in Seoul. He is excited to take us on a bus tour and out to see more places in the big city. Sounds like a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment